">

History of the Club

Subpages
Related Pages
Links
Files
Photo Albums
 

In the mid 1990s, the Rotary Club of Barrie and the Rotary Club of Barrie Huronia came to the conclusion that a third club was needed for Barrie and surrounding area. The new club would depart from the existing format and offer breakfast meetings.

 

The application submitted by the two clubs to Rotary International was approved on July 28, 1999. Shortly thereafter, George Dangerfield, who had been actively promoting the new club for several months, assumed its presidency. The name Barrie-Kempenfelt was chosen, and forty new members were officially welcomed as members on August 4, 1999.

 

Since then, the presidency has been assumed by Cheryl Simpson, a vice-president of Georgian College in 2000-01. Steve Periard, a local insurance broker in 2001-02, Mary Vallee, a lawyer in 2002-03, Steve Thompson, a partner in a real estate appraisal firm in 2003-04, Mac Anderson, a banker in 2004-2005, John Mcniven, a florist in 2005-2006, Ken Pickering, a Landscaper in 2006-2007, Gerry Pilon, an architect in 2007-2008, Jackie Glacer a flooring manager in 2008-2009 and Barry Ward a city councillor in 2009-1010.

 

Originally, the Club met at the Sheba Shrine Hall. We then moved to the Bell Farm Banquet Hall. We now meet at the Barrie Country Club. Our meetings follow a format similar to that adopted by our sponsoring clubs. We spend some time on Club matters, but we do enjoy the merriment associated with the Sergeant-at-Arms segment. Our guest speakers are first-class.

 

The doors open at 6:45 a.m., and we welcome guests. Visit us if you have an opportunity to do so.

 
Sponsors